View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Four-handed vs. a Grandmaster

Ray - would you fold in "Grandmaster"'s position with more than 7 BB in the pot? IMO if it's just a random heart on the river then it's a clear call, so the key question is whether "Gab" definitely has an Ace. Given that it was a 4 handed game, I think he could have been reraising preflop with a pair or high cards without an ace. Therefore there's a fair chance that the river bet is a bluff (especially since the river card is so scary), and I would call it.

IMO the bluff makes sense in a full game, but with only 4 players it is more marginal against a strong opponent.

Gab - I don't agree with reraising the pair of 7s. You say that you still "believed these people", plus the opponent is a strong player who has represented strength UTG. So you are quite likely to be in a situation where you are either totally dominated by a higher pair, or only a slight favourite against overcards. 77 is likely to have 2 overcards on the flop, making it difficult to extract value if you are ahead, and easy to lose lots (either by calling if he has a pair, or getting bluffed out).

The fact is you got a very good flop (only 7xx or 3 lower cards would be better) and you still had a tough time - imagine how much worse shape you would be in with a less favourable flop.

I'm interested in your play after the flop. When he raised your flop bet (after seeing you bet strong preflop), what did you put him on? And what was your reasoning for checking and calling on the turn? Personally I would have put him on a higher pair with his flop raise, and especially when he bets the turn. With only 2 outs (and a potential bluff if an Ah hits) I would fold.

Out of interest, what did he do on the river?

PokerPrince - I'm not sure I agree with what you say:

"There are MANY benifits to reraising here, one being that you won't be labelled as someone who only repumps it with premium holdings."

But you can achieve this with less cost and more benefit by reraising 77, KQ and the like when you are in good position, rather than first to act.

"Another being that there is a strong possibility you hold the best hand."

True, but as I claimed above, being strongest going into the flop doesn't mean you are in the best situation. The key is how much are you going to win if you have the best hand post-flop, versus how much you are going to lose if you don't.

"Another being you MAY push him off a better hand like 99 if the flop comes a tad scary like A,Q,6 and you bet out."

I disagree - a flop bet is almost meaningless and a good player will usually at least call, making you bet again if you want to steal the hand. So either you have to bluff twice, or let him get a free card on the turn and display weakness.