View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Wrong!

Sorry, but no. Your argument is flawed in numerous ways. First of all, as somebody pointed out, if God does exist, then who or what created God, ad infinitum. Secondly, you must take into consideration what exactly IS a woonden chair. What makes it a wooden chair. Must it be polished and be able to rock back and forth? What about a tree stump with a back? Your argument assumes that you KNOW what a wooden chair is and that you find one. But if you didn't know what a wooden chair was supposed to look like it would not seem out of the ordinary. Now suppose that the tree stump with a back on it, provides some extra use to the tree and over time, more trees appear that way. Suddenly the tree has evolved into a wooden chair.

The analogy is flawed because human aren't like your wooden chair in that there was no preset way for us to be or for what we should look like. Now ask yourself how probable it is that you find something that kind of might resemble a piece of furniture in the middle of nowhere. More probable??? You say it's silly to think that we appeared by random chance? Why? The universe is so vast and old that even an improbable occurance like life CAN happen. And once it does, it can morph and evolve any number of ways. If you take human beings as we are now and say that it's improbable, you are right. But if you think about the idea that we are just one of many possible directions early life could have evolved into, the probability of our occurance or something else is HIGHLY likely.

If you pick a number 1-20, chances are that it won't be 16. But you ARE picking a number and the fact that it happened to be 16 doesn't make 16 significant.

I don't know anything about biology or life or really a whole lot about religion for that matter, but I hope you see the flaw in your argument. You are assuming that your wooden chair MUST have come to be a certain way because that's how it is now. But if you backtrack and think that the outcome was only one of many possible outcomes, you find that the occurance of a wooden chair is more likely. Simple Bayes.

Of course I am continually criticised on this forum for my stupidity, so if somebody would care to pick me apart and call me an idiot, maybe you can just forget my post!