View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Lying about your hand

[ QUOTE ]
But what about when you really really don't want them to pay?

IE - Kh Qh Qd 6h board, level 4, 5 players left, preflop could easily put me on a Q or flush. I make a mutually-pot-comitting but not all-in raise against a guy I see as a weak-tighty. He thinks forever, finally folds, and says "AK" (we're talking at least $60s and up here).

Now I had bupkis. I just thought he had something marginal, and am truly suprised he laid down TPTK. In his mind, he made either a great fold or really dumb fold. He's very curious, otherwise he wouldn't have told me what he had. If I don't reply he's probably going to lean towards thinking he's been bamboozled. Do I want to make weak-tighty feel good about himself, or do I want him gunning for me throughout the bubble and HU, spite-calling me on all my BS. Seriously?

So I may reply, depending on the player, with "gf" or "wow, gf" etc. He gets to feel like he made a world-class laydown, and I continue to bully and steal my way to winning the tourney. It's a win/win.

Granted we might both be lying to each other. But going by the 80/20 (or whatever) rule, we'll probably each assume the other one is on the up and up. In his case it makes him feel a lot better to assume I'm telling the truth. In my case I really don't care whether he's telling the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comments about telling people to pay to see my cards are more relevant in live games.

I just wouldn't bother talking about them online because you won't get any credit for it anyway, even if you were telling the truth i think when you start talking about your cards people are more likely to look you up.