View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Building a poker computer

My understanding of dual core processors was that the capability of running multithreaded apps was improved. I don't believe PokerTracker is multithreaded. That being said, I'm guessing you would still see some speed improvement because other applications could be handed off to the other processor while PokerTracker was using another core. I guess it largely depends on how the dual core technology works. I'll admit I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area so I'm taking logical guesses. Ultimately I'd guess you'd see some improvement but no where near 2x.

I'm running same mobo, 3200+ and a gig of ram and I don't have a noticable speed problem with PokerTracker until I start to switch between screens. Even then it's not too bad. I should also mention that I'm not yet running PostgreSQL and I also have probably only 100,000 hands in my db.

I will say the video card is overkill if you're not playing video games. If you wanted to save some money you could probably use what you're already using.

Another post mentioned getting a faster harddrive. It's a great suggestion and probably worth checking out. You could also consider using a decent raid card and speeding things up even more. If you've got the cash and your really serious, consider getting a ram drive off of Ebay.

Sorry to say I don't have any benchmarks to share. Just some logical assumptions. If you do decide to benchmark things, please post the results as I would be very interested.

Good luck.