Thread: What the...?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Re: What the...?

By betting, you ensure the flop gets bet and give one overcard hands a chance to fold (KT for example). You may also get the ideal:

You bet. Two people call. The button raises. You 3-bet. The limpers fold and you are heads up, with extra dead money in the pot. You can say "oh they won't fold once they've put a bet in the pot", but I don't agree. They will, and often.

The "worst" scenario here is you bet and everyone calls. However, it is important to note that you also have an overcard, so there are potentially only 6 cards that hurt on the turn. At this point, I would strongly consider checking the turn and trying to get to showdown cheaply.

Checkraising is nice. Betting and three betting should serve the same purpose, but without the risk of a flop check around, and with the potential benefit of getting more dead money in the pot.

I also don't see why you are so sure that by betting and three betting, I will build some enormous pot. It's also likely to thin the field. You simply assume that I will bet, 3 people will call, I will reraise, everyone will call? If everyone calls 3 bets on the flop, hey guess what? I don't need to take my QJo any further because it's almost certainly way way behind. What is likely to happen in the scenario you play is that you check, some EP or MP bets, and a couple of people call. You then checkraise, and everyone calls. Now you've increased the pot size a fair bit, and not really managed to either define your hand, your opponent's hand, or face anyone with two bets cold.

The flop checkraise is nice, but it's too risky for my tastes in this hand. My general rule of thumb is on a twotone board, bet and reraise. On a rainbow board, checkraise.