View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Classic Type Game Theory Problem

A few things quickly (I'm working on mathematics tonight [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]); I'll write more later.

What does it mean to "[deal a real number]"? I would assume it means choose one uniformly and at random. That, in my mind, means you have a probability measure and each real number is assigned the same nonzero mass. Where am I thinking about this incorrectly?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a probabilist. And in probability, when someone uses the term "uniform distribution on [0,1]", they mean Lebesgue measure. You obviously think the term means something else, but you're wrong. Honestly, I'm stunned. Clearly you know enough so that this is a semantic issue and not a mathematical one, but how can your use of terminology be so off base? If you called a Markov process a martingale, it might be understandable since you're not a probabilist. But the term you're misusing is so basic and taught in every undergraduate probability and statistics course there is. Did someone hack your account? Is this jason_t's younger brother?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never taken probability. Undergraduate or otherwise. All of my knowledge of it is informal. I never have a need for anything formal in my work. I don't think I've made any mathematical errors in my posts, just semantical ones.