View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Probably simple, not sure...

I'm curious how that "surivalist" style works for you?
Because I used to hate coinflips too until I realized you have to win a few to win tournaments. Survivalism means you can get really really far in each tournament you play, but it also means you're probably going to bubble or get just inside the money.

And besides... you'd have to put him on a hand that makes this a coinflip. I don't think his range here necessarily dictates that. He'd need a set or 76 before I'd start to think I was a dog, and besides those made hands don't make giant over-pushes. An out-of-line push, in my experience, is almost always a draw.
Besides, even if I knew I was against an overpair, I'd take my chances here. Being a slight favorite + the overlay in the pot is enough for me.

Yeah, if you fold, you still have 35bb, but if you call and win, you have about 80 which should give you lots of ammo for the stretch run.

And yes, if he has 7h3h in the first hand, it does change how you play the second. Namely, don't. If he's a maniac (min-raising preflop from the big blind with 73s? What?) and he's directly to your left, get some solid value before screwing with him.
But since you did play it... a min-raise blatantly looks like a blind steal and overbetting the pot on the flop is a big mistake. He might have a Q, he might have KJ or J9. Your big bet screams you don't want a call and he probably noticed. That hand is just trouble.