View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Win rates of 1/2BB live dont translate to 3-6BB online, why?

Live reads can help a bit, as sometimes players all but tell you (or, in fact, simply tell you) that they have a weak hand they are going to call with anyway or that they won't call on the river unless they hit their draw. So the times when you have a marginal value betting hand (case 1) or also missed a draw (case 2), you know exactly what to do. But I don't think that accounts for a whole lot, because those kind of scenarios don't occur very often.

Some live 10/20 games have worse players than your typical 0.5/1 online game, and a more favorable rake structure. I think 4-5 BB/100 is probably sustainable in the microlimits (depending on their particular rake structures), so getting close to 6 BB/100 with a better rake structure might be possible.

So my general intuition is that 2 BB/hour at a live game is pretty tough to do, unless the opponents are very bad, the rake structure is favorable (so hard to do at a live 3/6 game), and you get in a lot of hands per hour. But it seems realistic to have a long-term winrate that approaches 2 BB/hr, and so you should certainly expect there to be live pros who make 2+ BB/hr for stretches of several years.