View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon\'s \"Fish N Chip\" Sandwich

[ QUOTE ]
In Gordon's actual application of this he's usually looking for a loose EP raiser to make this play on. In most cases I'm sure he wouldn't mind a fold. The only reason he doesn't hate a call in this spot is due to the overlay the pot is providing thanks to the dead money. I like the play. Picking the right spot to use it doesn't appear to be easy. Even with the great pot odds, I'm not really wanting to place myself in a position where I bust out >40% of the time.

As far as comparing the EV vs AK or JJ in this spot, since when do the majority of posters use tight 1-handed ranges when figuring their odds and equity in a pot? We all use ranges and the math makes it easy to look back and see what our equity in this pot is versus any range. Pick a reasonable range here and calculate the expectation versus the range, not a single hand. If we were all to go through our own HH files and pick out hands to recalculate our EV versus the actual hand shown down I'm sure we'd have made tons of mistakes cumulatively.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as JJ and AK, I think this in correct and we don't need a range. 88-AA play similarly versus 76s and AT-AK, KQ-KJ play similarly versus 76s. I think JJ and AK are pretty representative of the ranges.

If the idea of Gordon's play is that you are looking to pick up the pot, this is a misapplication or a different move. There is absolutely no way this push picks up the pot.