View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
i dont really like the checkraise... looks like youre FOS and he mioght make a big play at u by calling and raising turn w/ nothing.... just call and see the turn... prob checkcall him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I checkcall him down then I have zero chance to get him to fold a small pocket or piece, or AJ. One thing about the 20/40'ers that they don't have in common with the 10/20'ers is that they are relentless value-bettors and the little buggers just KNOW when you're calling down with A-high.

Really, really tired of that.

Anyway, I checkraised the flop, he called. A blank (a 7?) fell on the turn. I bet, he thought for about 21 minutes and then called. The river paired the board (a 4 I think) and I shot my last barrel. He thought for about 82 minutes and finally folded.

So it worked. Whether it was a fluke, or good play, is the reason I posted here. I'm not surprised that almost everyone is telling me to follow the standard bet the flop line, or the call-down line, but in my experiencing doing what You're Supposed To Do with crap unimproved aces in these situations ta 20/40 is costing me money. So I guess I'm still lost. (Though admittedly, this flop is SO dry that betting out is probably best.)

Another advantage to what I did -- when I checked on this super-dry flop, any thinking player with a tiny pocket or piece had to be worried that that looked very suspicious, and might have folded. That is, in this line it's slightly more possible that the SB/BB would fold an ISD or tiny pocket than if I had bet straight out. No?

I know that my eyebrows would have shot up if the preflop raiser didn't bet when it was checked to him on a board of Q42r.