View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Snakes on a Plane

[ QUOTE ]
oops. i have no idea how i arrived at my figures there. i dont use excel because i dont have a spreadsheet program but could get one. i also dont know how to do all these calculations in it and i didnt realize excel was good for this function. i do my own calculations for hand ranges very often but im interested in switching over to excel if it makes these exercises easier to do. i am also aware of how a small change in an estimation of a particular variable will change your equity significantly which is the problem with alot of these calculations.

posting hands under the old method is really just asking people to estimate hand ranges and likelihood of those hands and coming to a conclusion based on feel. using calculations allows us to to remove the human error when we add up our hand ranges and produce a conclusion based on feel, which is certainly great. however, doing equity calculations for every hand is very time consuming in comparison to the current method and the current method allows us to remove many more hands in a shorter span of time.

i think that if we want to revolutionize the forum by making everything calculation based that would be great. to start this people posting threads need to include the variables and the formula for solving the hand and then we could argue over the variables and the likelihood of those variables.

this leads to a much higher level of discussion. josh says he doesnt have hands to post because he does everything in his excel method but hes certainly going to be wrong alot of the time when he comes up with his hand ranges. josh, why dont you start posting hands that you calculated in excel and discuss these hand ranges with us to get the ball rolling. id like to see you post your hand ranges for this particular hand (based on likelihood) and the results of those hand ranges to determine the equity of calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the forum turned to this kind of discussion, it would be GoT's wet dream. And it goes without saying that it'd be a much better forum. This is personally what I crave and need for my game/thinking.

M