View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: *TT* rates OOT\'s fashion sense

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

When it comes to getting shirts tailored, what should one expect to spend per shirt? And how does one best go about finding a good tailor, outside of giant metro areas like NYC? I live in a suburb of Dallas, and I don't really want to take my clothes to a random asian family to get tailored... an asian family about whom I've heard good things, fine, but I don't run in circles with people who need clothing tailored. I have a dry cleaner I trust, but they were recommended by a friend.

I'm 6'5, 185 - the photo I posted shows me in a decent slim sweater, but generally, my shirts are too big for my body. I end up having to buy shirts that are too big for my body because my arms are too long for a generic "medium," so I end up buying a generic "large," and wearing a damn balloon of a shirt that - thankfully - has arms that are long enough.

Aside from becoming less poor - something that I'm obviously working on - is finding a good tailor and getting my shirts properly tailored to my body a good option?

I feel like this post ended up being written completely backwards, but hey.

Thoughts?

yasher

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, I always get clobbered by dry cleaners when I travel, I would assume its the same with tailors.

1) Find a dedicated tailor, not someone who operates out of a cleaners

2) Bring them photos of celebrities whose style you like, who also happen to be wearing similar cut suits (remember - color doesn't matter, and there are really only a handful of cuts available for the most part). Explain to the tailor how you don't want to look like every other suit/shirt they trim... how you want to look "Hollywood". I know it sounds stupid, but the dumb-ass with the needle and thread might get it.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]