View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Mental effect of pokertracker

[ QUOTE ]
I look at my stats and obsess about the fact that my PFR isnt over 7 and that my VPIP is only 15. Now from what I can tell these stats are OK, but not perfect

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously obsessing over anything isn't good. These stats aren't "bad" but, there likely aren't "optimal". It's hard to judge this based on a lack of information in your OP. Namely what limits you're playing at and over how many hands this sample is taken from.

I think you make a great point about some people getting to obsessed with a couple stats. I'm currently coaching a friend of mine who started playing a few months ago and he's the same way. The problem is that VP$IP and PFR are only one part of the equation. If you're playing at sub-optimal tables (i.e. tight) you won't be playing as many hands. If you're playing with sub-optimal position
(i.e. loose players on your left) your won't be able to raise a wide range of hands in attempts to steal their blinds. If this sample is over a small number of hands you could just be experiencing variance - where you're just not getting dealt quality hands to start with.

If you want some better responses you need to share some more information (and if you might also consider posting this in psychology). In general, I think the above is good advice for you and other players reading this. Stats aren't everything.