View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: How can watching the pros on TV make a small stakes player better?

For most players and most games, I think that the answer is no. For the most part, TV poker is preflop poker. The games that we commoners play in are generally decided postflop. Or should be.

The exception that I have found is in late play in SnGs, from the bubble to the end. I think that watching WSOP and WPT tapes has improved my short handed SnG game, particurly HU. I know from books that you have to loosen up your hand selection as the game gets fewer and fewer players, but watching it on TV really drives it home. I also really learned the importance of position in the short-handed game by watching TV. Again, you can read about over and over, but seeing it happen really shows how it works.

What is shown on TV is mostly short handed play at the end of a large tournament. (That is all that is shown on the WPT.) The way that they play here is not even correct for the greater part of the tournaments that they are playing in, let alone something like limit ring games. It is correct play for the final table of a tournament.

I think that a SnG is a large tournament in miniature. The first 3-4 levels correspond to the start of a big tournament, and should be played simialrly. The last 4-5 players are the final table, and correct play here is unlike that in any other game. Thankfully, most newbies, attracted by TV games, don't understand this.