View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Harrah\'s screws up again on the TOC!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why doesn't anybody seem to get that the long-term relevant issue is that for the previous two WSOPs there has been $4 million in sponsored freerolls?

Let me say that again: $4 million in sponsored freerolls.

One more time: $4 million in sponsored freerolls.

Yes, players in this year's TOC felt like they got screwed. Probably they lost about $500 to $1,500 in tournament EV. Well, that sucks.

But how can any serious, rational person think that it is more important to dwell on this dubious sponsor exemptions "scandal" than to focus on the incredible opportunities for sponsored poker. This isn't getting a few bucks for wearing a Full Tilt jersey. This the second of potentially many more events with multi-million dollar sponsorships.

Think about what things could be like for poker in five years if every year there is $10 or $20 million in sponsored poker tournaments? Imagine how many people will play circuit events. And so what if there are six or ten or twenty sponsor exemptions? Yes, they should disclose the full story ahead of time.

But this is business. In business you have to be flexible. And anybody who thinks that turning down an offer to sponsor a $2 million freeroll is a good way to build the business of poker is absolutely and totally clueless.

Sure, Harrah's could have stuck to the original plan and told Pepsi to come back next year. But it is far, far, far more valuable for the long run health of sponsored tournament poker that Pepsi did what they did. It's not even close. It's not even close to being close.

- Jedster

[/ QUOTE ]

That "I'm just greatful to be here" mentality is what will allow companies to pull stuff like this, and potentially worse transgressions in the future, over and over and over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not an "I'm just happy to be here" thing, it's a "Regardless of who screwed whom, how does this impact poker as a whole" thing.

Yes the players got screwed and Harrahs acted improperly but increased sponsorship can only be a good thing.

Where does the money come from? With sponsorship everyone's expected value goes up.