View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: 30-60 River Decision

[ QUOTE ]
Although I had a strong read when he bet the turn, a fold didn't seem right, with a card to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a read that strong, a turn fold then becomes absolutely correct. With 6.5 big bets on the turn (assuming EP dropped out on the flop), you are asked to call 7.5:1 when you *know* you only have 3 outs (44:3 or 14.6:1 pot odds). Compound this with the possibility you are wrong and he could have a boat, and you are drawing dead part of the time. These are horrible odds knowing what you know even if you feel you're going to get 2 more big bets on the river if you catch a K.

Just my general feeling from this hand. You're playing scared poker. Playing no limit for about two years has made me appreciate strong, but not super strong limit hands like TPTK and how aggression is the key to this game.

If you have a strong read or tell on the turn that only you are privy to knowing, fine. Just fold the turn and be done with it. However, if you're calling the turn, you absolutely must call the river. Don't contradict yourself by calling the turn and folding the river.

Yes, you were right in this case, but by the river, you only have to have a winner 1 in 9 times to make the call correct. Odds I'll take any day with your hand.

Garland