View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Letters of Resignation

My $0.02...

First, I doubt that formal letter is neccessary, but I suppose it can't hurt. Regardless of whether you hand him a letter or not, though, be sure to tell your boss to his face. Since you don't have another job lined up, I'd make up something unverifiable thing that you are going to be doing, like traveling or seeing your family or something. What you don't want to happen is that your boss says "well, can you stay just a little longer?" and you don't have any response other than "no, because I can't [censored] stand it here anymore - I'd rather sit at home and be jobless". He should be professional and not even ask you, but you don't want to get put in a corner where he basically forces you to be overly honest.

I wouldn't worry about using a non-superior as a reference, but I wouldn't lie about it. I've been a reference for a peer before and it didn't seem to matter. A smart employer will know that a reference from an underling can be just as useful. Besides, I think that a lot of companies don't put much stock in references any more - they know that they are pretty unreliable, and that a lot of employers won't risk the liability of ever saying anything bad about anyone. At my current job that they actually made me the offer before even checking my references (it was contingent on them checking out) - they essentially just used my references to make sure that I didn't lie about anything on my resume.