View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: How much do you value your life?

This seems as backwards as you can possibly get. If you're religious, chances are you believe you're going to a "good" afterlife, therefore death is just the end of a small fraction of your total consciousness. If you're an atheist, death is the end of 100% of your future.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd take it for any amount of money greater than I could make in the time it takes me to pick a ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if we assume the rest of your life has no value to you other than the amount of money you would make, unless you are on your deathbed this doesn't make much sense.

As an example, let's say that you would live for 5 more years if you didn't draw a ticket. Your winrate is $60/hr (the exact amount doesn't matter, I'm just making an example). It probably takes two minutes to choose a ticket, which means theoretically you would take this bet if the payoff was $3.

So, 99% of the time, you make an extra $3 over the course of your life. The other 1%, you lose all the income you would have made for the rest of your life, which if that amount is more than $2.97 makes this a -EV gamble even from a pure monetary standpoint.