View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: How do you manage/pace a tourney?

my plan lately in tourneys is to get going right away, with the attitude that i want to win every chip, so i look for every +EV situation i can find.

basically you just watch how the table is playing, and how you've been playing. if the table is tight and/or you haven't been overly aggressive, then its profitable to attack the blinds. even early on you can build a stack by raising a lot of decent hands (but not only premiums) and get people who check/fold if they miss the flop. if you've been playing really aggro already, then tighten up with your stealing hands, but raise your premiums and you'll get paid off. also if you've been betting tons of flops, and people are starting to give you less respect then try to see lots of flops in position, and when you hit good you'll get paid off. of course if you haven't been betting flops, and aren't seen as too aggressive then look for good flops to bet against 1-3 players, as some are very profitable. if you think people will respect your bet and fold without top pair, then a 2/3 - 3/4 sized bet can be hugely profitable if you don't overdo it.

basically, don't think so much about what hands to play from what position, or what style you should play at each stage of the tourney. just think about finding profitable situations, and take as many as you can without becoming too predictable. you want to be tough to play against.