View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: PLO8 25 - Did I overplay flop?

It's an interesting hand.

People overplay Aces. After reading Berman's admonition in SS2 about how average players lose more with AA** than good players--and this is in Omaha high!--I've slowed down with Aces. I'd still love to get all-in preflop or nearly all-in. If I can't do this, I'll see a relatively cheap flop and if I don't hit it, get away from it. Aces are only a pair and a pair isn't that much in 08. Even if you hit trips, it's still dangerous since trips get beaten by straights and flushes so much and your opponent might be splitting low and on a freeroll (not so much on this particular flop, but generally).

You're also out of position which means you may win a small pot or lose a big one.

There's two to a low on the flop, but you have the nut flush draw.

I'd bet out on the flop to see where I was at. Then I'd play it slow. It's similar to a Morton's Fork situation. If you're ahead, you win more by playing slow. If you're behind you lose less by playing slow. I only have a pair of aces and a draw--I don't want to risk my stack here if I get played with.

There is another hand coming up. Don't fall in love with Aces. Try to win it on the flop and if you don't, shut down and try to see the hand thru cheaply.

The all-in on the river bet isnt this one of those situations where you're only getting called by hands that beat you? Aren't you better off checking and at least giving the opponent a chance to bluff before you commit your chips??