View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: What\'s up with Swedish/Norweigen players???

I've never placed in a higher buy-in tourney so I must be the worst player in Scandinavia. Seriously, I believe it's in our nature to be patient. Also, we have good education from early on. Some friends of mine took a year at high school in USA/Canada at the age of 16/17 and they were all top students in their class. They even excelled most of their class in English lessons (spelling and grammar). Though, we have to pay a filthy amount of money in taxes and although I have a master degree in computer science, I have to rely on poker to give me that extra cash needed. An American friend of mine moved back to California after completing his studies in Sweden. He earns way above six figures/year while my salary is merely twice our cleaner's salary. Yes, people with low income still have a decent amount while those with education are underpaid, compared to other countries that is.

As someone already pointed out, we have always had good athletes. How come Sweden, with a total population of 9 million (compared to 300 million in USA), currently occupies the top two spots on the NHL leaderboard? I don't know, especially since it's considered "bad" to believe in yourself. At least you shouldn't talk about it.

A combination of the things above is what drives us to be better at poker. In my case, a job and a social life prevents me from playing enough tournies to improve quickly. Though, as the winter approaches, I now have to stay inside playing poker to avoid constant attacks from polarbears. Those suckers keep lurking around my house til late February [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mission: To learn how to push small edges early on (Thanks, woodguy)