Thread: Why Compassion?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Why Compassion?

[ QUOTE ]
The simple reason to exercise compassion is that you would want others to show compassion to you, it's a social contract.

The reason why kids are more narcisstic, as you say, is that they're further down the learning curve in terms of experiencing humanity. That's the same reason only children have a tendency to be more narcisstic as adults (sweeping generalization).

I can see why you'd say consciousness might be a prerequisite of compassion, but I can't see why you'd assume consciuosness isn't an evolved motivation or indeed one that goes back a long way - it's present in apes isn't it?. Evolutionary biology is not something I'm expert in at all though, so I await correction [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My opinion on this is very complex. I think the whole socail contract has some weight in that many things we humans do are interrelated and dynamic on social/psychological/intellectual levels. That being said, compasion is also a sort of out growth of the trait of cooperation, which Richard Dawkins describes as "an evolutionary stable behaviour." To get a full understanding of this read "The selfish Gene" by the above author. Human emotions are so complex that to call any one thing the cause of a specific emotion is really to turn your back on the world.