View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: something I\'ve been doing lately.

No.

But for 2 more bets it becomes more difficult for them to call with another JT or QTo or something.

And after a re-raise you don't have to have the best hand to win with a continuation bet or two..or when you are just betting a draw.

Flop is 984....you are happy to win the pot before getting to the river on your semi-bluff without having to hit your draw. And when you 3-bet it then you're opponent is less likely to stick around with KQ or something.

This is more difficult to do against 2 opponents of course. BB has 86 for example. On this flop you could well have wished you had 3-bet to get him out.

I don't know if my assumptions are completely correct here.

The general argument is that allowing the BB to see the flop with 5:1 odds means that he is very much correct to call with most (or all) of the hands he is calling with.

Giving him 7:2 to call means that he is more likely to be making a mistake by calling.
And you are increasing your chances of taking the pot with standard continuation betting.

I hear you that it becomes expensive though. I'm still struggling with a lot of this stuff.
But I don't think that trying to save 1 little bet pre-flop is going to be the answer to your (our) woes.

But I'm pretty much just regurgitating some of the stuff given previously by posters smarter than me. I don't have enough successful practice with these tactics from my own play.
I'm too often on the losing end of that whole bit about wishing I hadn't 3-bet in the first place.
But in my case I think the answer is to fold the borderline stuff...not cold-call with it...but again, this is because I've been so pre-programmed to say 'cold-calling = bad'