View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: I favour a small efficient government

[ QUOTE ]
however handguns are suspect. Because of their portability and concelability handguns are ideal weapons to kill with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost any gun is an "ideal weapon to kill with". The benefit of a handgun is a little old lady and a huge 250 lb thug are now on a level playing field. I'm having a hard time thinking of a more equalizing tool. If just the thug is armed (and why wouldn't he be, he's a criminal), then the little old lady stands almost no chance. If both are armed, then the lady's chances increase substantially.

[ QUOTE ]
However in the more mainstream American society guns (namely handguns) really have almost no purpose that outweighs the risk they pose.

[/ QUOTE ]
...except for one of the most important purposes: self-defense. Again, little old lady vs. 250 lb armed criminal. Who'll win? Allow the little old lady the choice of having a gun. Now who'll win? Maybe she will, maybe the thug will, but the lady at least has a chance where before she had no chance at all.

[ QUOTE ]
FYI, my father is a cop so I know a thing or two about handguns

[/ QUOTE ]
From what you've posted, I don't believe you know anything of consequence regarding guns.