View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: I favour a small efficient government

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that America might be past the point where citizens will have to take up arms to defend themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible, but it wouldn't be wise to count on it.

The history of human foibles and oppression, greed, brutality, and so on is as old as the hills. While we have developed technological wonders, I don't think we as a species have gotten nearly to the point where force will not be used for selfish purposes. Therefore wisdom would seem to suggest that it would be potentially foolish to put your faith in the benificence of strangers--especially strangers who might have something to gain by using force at your expense.

You know the old saying at the poker table: trust your friends, but see that the deck is cut. How much more true is that of strangers, and why should you trust strangers with your very life to the point of being defenseless should they decide to abuse you for their own gain.

One has only to look at the cut-throat style of litigation so prevalent in our country today, to realize that our civilized customs are but a thin veneer. When push comes to shove, "I-Me-Mine" is the loudest refrain, and ultimately raw force (or the threat of raw force) is the most powerful advocate, judge, and constable all rolled into one. If your opponents have that raw power and you don't, all of your arguments, and all of their pretensions of fairness, are apt to blow away like dry leaves in the autumn wind. So don't put complete faith in civilization or in laws; rather look to history and see how, ultimately, it is guns that determine which laws will be followed.