View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Very tricky AK hand early in SNG

[ QUOTE ]
Generally I would reraise to 90-100 here. This is enough to get most smaller pocket pairs and marginal hands to fold from most decent players. The initial raise to 35 is such a weak raise that I would have trouble putting the raiser on a really solid hand so I prefer to find out for certain now while I can do it cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

A reraise with AKo at early levels of an SNG? I understand the argument for raising limpers, but this just doesn't make any sense.

Reraising an UTG raise will produce any of the following outcomes:
1) He will call and you have no idea what hand he has AND you hit a nice flop (K rag rag).
2) He will call and you have no idea what hand he has AND you hit a garbage flop.
3) He will reraise you all-in and you have to fold AK.
4) He will fold a marginal hand that you could have extracted money from if you had seen a flop and hit an A or a K.

I don't really like any of these outcomes. Early in a 20+2 SNG, calling pre-flop gives the best chance to see a flop for a hand that desperately needs a good flop to continue. I think reraising an UTG raise early in a tournament preflop with AKo would be a marginal play at best and a big mistake at worst.

Z