View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: A problem with some religous views

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chez,

Here should be your starting point:

Read it (the Bible, especially the New Testament - or perhaps only the NT yourself.) Then you tell me if you would start with the premise as written.

I don’t think you would.

I know I wouldn’t. (Sorry to not answer your question directly. It simply isn’t that simple - your premise - nor the answer.)

I am sure you don’t have the time to actually read the Bible (not a bad read really, the NT - the OLD T is a bit tough). I am not trying to evangelize here. But just quickly read my Christianity Primer a few posts back. Even after that would you still be so confident in your premise as written?

Would you discuss “Moby Dick” without reading the book? If I tell you it is a story about a whale, I wouldn’t be giving you a wrong answer. Is it a good answer?

Another analogy: You think David S. et al wants us to play only literally by The Book (Small Stakes Hold “em)?

Cheers,

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean but the statement is not a premise in the argument. I'm claiming my argument is logically valid and its not very long so if you see a problem then let me know what it is.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

"we are all guilty of sins, those who believe can get redemption and those who don't believe have no chance of redemption and will be punished" I was referring to that quote as the premise. It has been a while since I used formal logic.

Let me answer it this way and you can translate it into logic form. And correct yourself if it is flawed or answer your own question if it isn’t flawed. I am confused myself in trying to get it exactly right.

Basically it seems to flow, but it seems that you are just getting back to the original part.

If any religion claims this then your logic seems to flows (almost). You are stating that you have a problem with said religions. You are saying said religions exist. You say at the end “…or that religious view is mistaken”. If indeed there is such a religion , the religious view isn’t mistaken per se - it is just a view that you don‘t agree with. It might indeed be a mistaken view as far as what is the True religion. But, I am not sure that point is clear as written. So, I think this part needs ammended.

Do you mean to write at the end something like “the view of someone who told me about their religion is mistaken - or someone who told me this is their religion’s view is mistaken”

Again all I am trying to say is this - it sounds like you are talking about Christianity. And that isn't a correct statement to make about Christianity. (Well, I guess some would argue that it is a correct statement - just not a complete one. That was my Moby Dick comparision).

Hope this helps you and you can translate my words back to what you are formalizing if need be.