View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Omaha/8: Raising before the flop

Ray Zee in his book says that raising before the flop in Omaha/8 doesn't add much to your profits, but greatly increases your variance.

Badger on his site says this:

[ QUOTE ]

In most Omaha games a critical and basic concept is to get more money in before the flop when you have way the best of it. The most obvious profit in Omaha comes from opponents calling on the turn when drawing dead. This happens reasonably often but the profit that occurs every single hand, the most common way to create a profitable edge is to exploit the dramatically different pre-flop value of Omaha starting hands. Most Omaha games feature players who play too many garbage hands 789T, 23QJ and even J965. In many games, these mistakes occur before the flop all the time. This is where the money is to be made. Since the opportunities arise almost every hand, this is where you increase your profits hugely in Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what you all though about this subject. Since Zee's book is for advanced players, I suspect he is writing for tighter games where people don't play these junk hands. Badger is writing about loose games where people enter pots with trash. I suspect Badger's advice is correct for these loose, low-limit games.

Here is the link for Badger's Omaha Myths page: http://www.playwinningpoker.com/omaha/omaha1.html