View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: How i lose a lot of money in the long run with AK, AQ

That's the text book version you are playing. And it is correct. But, you can't do that all the time. In this case, although it's considered weak, you might on occasion check the flop. I do this often to flops like this. It throws the other guy off his line.
His line is this:
He figures you for weak, tight.
he calls your raise and flop bet, because you always play them that way.
he waits for you to show weakness, typically on the turn, because you have nothing.
here, with little or nothing, he bets big and you fold.
This worked on me for quite a while. I started "hunting them down" by calling them and seeing it thru, just so I could see their cards. More often than not, they had nothing, and poor cards to boot. A,K or A,J would win it.
Here's how you figurte it out for yourself. Move down to $25 or $50 NL. Play your same game , but call these guys several times. They are always LAG's by the way. This doesn't apply to TAG's. You'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that most often, there is no further bet once you call the turn bet.
Another way to get the same information, but even more fun, and profitable, is to raise with 88 or 99 etc, and when you hit it, play it like A,K. So you check on the turn, the guy bets $10, and yuou call it down. This is cheaper than my first proposal, and more fun too.
You'll instantly be getting more respect at the table, because you no longer a transparent player.