View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: boring basic crap hand I was thinking about in the shower

I don't think this is boring basic crap at all. I think this is very advanced poker, and I wish I knew how to handle these situations better.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the guy, raising the flop is obviously a sign of weakness. Raising the turn is an option, tho what would you do if he reraises? Fold and miss your draw for a gutshot?

What I tend to do is if it's a full game (and I didn't reraise pre-flop), I'm more likely to just fold the flop and wait for a better spot to make my money. Real short, I would continue to play, sometimes call and sometimes raise. (even tho raising is usually a sign of weakness here, he may just decide to give up with his 97s, which would make your life a little easier.) And I'm more likely to raise if I have a backdoor flush draw.

5-handed is right on the cusp. I think I would alternate between folding, calling and raising here equally.

(Your post reminded me of a hand that I misplayed horribly a while ago. I raise in SB w/ KQ, BB reraises and I call. Flop comes AAx. Now I know that this villain will very likely check the turn without an A. Yet despite this, for some bizarre reason (probably cause I was involved in another hand at another table), I decided to fold to his flop bet thinking 'oh, if he has an A, I'm drawing dead, and if he has a pair, I'm still just drawing' even tho the better side of me recognized that 1. I may have the better hand and 2. MOST IMPORTANTLY, this guy will likely check the turn without an A.
Despite that knowledge, I still suffered a brain seizure and folded the flop.