View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Default boring basic crap hand I was thinking about in the shower

5 handed online. You don't know anything more about the sb other than he seems decent. No history.

He opens in the sb, you call with QJo in the bb. I'm sure sometimes you 3 bet and sometimes you call. I go in phases. Lately I probably 3 bet 65% call 35%. Before it was probably more calling than 3 betting. I think a lot of it has to do with metagame/how previous hands have gone/your image...that should dictate what to do here...Either way, I call this time.

Flop comes AA3r. He bets, you call.

Turn T. He bets, you call.

River 9. Are you folding to a third barrel? Call every time? Sometimes call sometimes fold...and if so typically what %'s? Raise because he might fold a king high or a pair of 5's or something?

Should the hand have ended on the flop?

Raise the turn? Raise the flop?

There's probably some math that can help us with this one...regaurding his range of hands and how much we're going to have to put in to see his hand. Also complicating matters...what if he checks the turn and you decide to bet and he c/r. You're probably going to fold. You could 3 bet. Or you could take a free/one bet showdown by checking behind. Or mb he folds to your bet. If you want to do the math with pokerstove or whatever go ahead, I'd be curious to see the numbers...but I think a lot of poker gets 'over-mathed' and during hands you often 'just act' instead of trying to think back to some math you saw...which probably didn't quite apply to this situation anyhow. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just curious how other people are handling hands like this...because they come up often enough when you 'call' pre-flop and mb that's a good reason to 3 bet more than call...but then again when you flop a pair you often get paid better by just calling pre-flop imo. You can also represent more hands and get a better hand to fold more often when you call vs 3 bet. What about if he checks the river? Take the showdown? Hope he folds a small pair or K high?