View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: A problem with some religous views

[ QUOTE ]
Consider the statement:

"we are all guilty of sins, those who believe can get redemption and those who don't believe have no chance of redemption and will be punished"

The religons I have a problem with claim that this statement (or something similar) is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you arguing against only the religions who have views such as these, or are you trying to argue against ALL religions? This doesn't necessarily affect your logic, I'm just curious as to what your ultimate intentions are. The way you phrased it, it sounds like you have a specific problem with Calvinism.

[ QUOTE ]
My moral sense tells me that a god who enforces this view is morally repugnant.

So either I am being deceived by my feelings of right and wrong, god isn't good, or that religous view is mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only logical problem I see has already been touched upon: the fact that you are assuming an absolute morality that both you and God are subject to, and can both appeal to. God could be subject to a completely different moral code than you are , in which case your moral code could quite rightly tell you that it is wrong, and God would still be good.

Also, there's the chance that all three of the possibilities you listed could be correct, as they are not mutually exclusive.