View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: My Aces are running baaaaad! Is it my fault?

[ QUOTE ]
The pot is such on the turn that calling to see the river is at least as good as folding. 3-betting the turn probably isn't the correct play (from a pure strategy standpoint).

Putting 5 BB into this pot is crazy IMO. Calling the river UI when he caps the turn has to be a dominated stratgey.

Folding to the turn raise is a dominated strategy. Calling down regardless of what hits is probably a slightly dominated strategy. The best play in situations like this is to call the turn raise and fold the river UI (where UI = you don't make aces up). The only caveat is that he isn't pushing a worse hand on the turn. If that is the case, then folding the river UI is usually dominated by calling the river (depending how often he will raise something like KJ on the turn).

Brad

EDIT: By dominated strategy I mean that there is another strategy that is "freerolling" it. So if I flip a fair coin and offer you 1:1 odds on heads, that strategy is dominated if some other dude will offer you 2:1 on heads using that same coin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad - Your posts sometimes sail over my head with a whooshing sound, and unless I ask / challenge, I can't learn.

When Villain ("NoReadButLoose") raises, given the mostly uncoordinated board (sure a 75 or a T7 has a straight, but Hero raised pre-flop), the only real threat is a set or a turned / slowplayed two-pair. While certainly possible (KK, 99, 88, 66 could all call the pf raise - especially from a loose player, as could a number of two-pairs on this board from loose players - i.e., a K9 or K8 clubs), isn't going into call-down mode after a single raise on the turn incredibly weak? Surely a 3-bet is in order? And when it's capped, OK, we'll check / call the river. But before then?