View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Where to restart?

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently this is a lot of fun for some of you, and I hate to take away. But I do have a 6-figure day job, a side client, and a skill I can fall back on for contract work anytime I want. IE - poker aint the only stream coming in. Some of the posters seem to get that, most ignore it entirely. I think this puts me in a slightly different position, as far as risk tolerance, than say a 19 year old with no other income or skills. Risk tolerance is a pretty personal thing that only the individual in question is really equipped to assess.

Do I lack discipline and is that a concern to me? Yes. But there's more than one way to skin a cat. IMO anyway. Like I said I'm not too worried about going broke. You guys can have fun with it all you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take this as a flame.

It's great that you have the job to fall back on and that no matter what happens with poker, you will have a means of making a decent living. The thing is, you don't want the job. You want to be a professional poker player. That's going to require discipline in terms of bankroll management regardless of what you have to fall back on.

Yes, risk tolerance is a personal thing and it varies widely from person to person. The problem for many people who aspire to being professional poker players is that they have a risk tolerance that isn't conducive to making a living playing poker. I don't know how long someone can make it on a 20-30 buyin BR and I don't want to find out. You may be comfortable with a BR this size and that's fine as long as you understand that at some point, you will go broke.

You need to separate yourself from the fact that you have something to fall back on and concentrate only on what it is going to take to succeed as a poker player. If you go into this with the attitude that you don't really need to fight to keep your BR and scratch and claw to build it, there's a good chance that you'll keep ending up back at square one.