View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: a couple of notes on the live at the bike....from seat 2

[ QUOTE ]
it shouldn't affect your EV either way (1,2 or 3 times). I just don't like twice because it feels like a tie/truce/happy ending, and this is war dammit. give me the thrill of the suckout or the pain of defeat, but for godsakes don't just give me my money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't affect your EV in a normal, unrestricted buy-in game (assuming your BR is big enough to reload to the point where you can match the stack of the weakest players). But let's say you are in a restricted buy-in game. Often chips in excess of the maximum allowable rebuy are worth far more than normal chips. For example, you have $1000 and several weak players also have stacks about that deep but none are deeper. You figure to have many opportunities to bring these stacks down as a huge favorite. If you go broke all you can re-buy is $300 (per the restricted buy-in rules).

Now let's say you are all-in on the turn with a set against a flush draw and the pot is about $2000. Here dealing thrice will rarely result in a situation where you lose 2/3 of the pot or more - in other words you more or less insure that you will come out of the hand with a stack that has a huge positive expectation against the big but weak playing stacks that are likely to oppose you in future hands. Go broke on the hand and you give this up.

That said, most restricted buy in games with jackpots won't let you deal thrice or twice (after writing the above, I just remembered this is the case at the Bike).

~ Rick