View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 10:29 AM

Default My true ROI is ... (very low content)

We see this statement so often on this forum, and I don't understand why so many people think it's a meaningful statement (or question).

The phrase "true ROI" presupposes two things, both of which are false.

First, it assumes that your game is static; you are neither improving nor getting worse. But the very fact that you post here is evidence that you are trying to improve.

Second, it assumes that the skill level of your average opponent is static. But the poker landscape is a work in progress. As long as the number of players is growing, the average skill level is probably going down. If the number of players reaches a plateau, then I'd guess the average skill level will start to go up. If the poker population starts to shrink, watch out. It's probably not the winners that are quitting.

Bottom line: You don't have a 'true ROI'. Your ROI at this moment is a function of your skill level compared to the skill level of your opponents. Both of these are changing, and by the time you play enough games to be statistically significant, the landscape will probably have changed significantly.

GG