View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: My Truth, Your Truth, The Truth

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In which way do Gracie's amd George's views conflict?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To George, he was stationary and Gracie was moving.
To Gracie, she was stationary and George was moving.

[/ QUOTE ]
They are not relativistic descriptions which is why they conflict. Relativistically both of them they are moving relative to each other and will describe the same thing.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I think I understand what you were trying to say this whole time, and it makes sense.

I'm still having trouble equating this single "relative" truth to the absolute space or absolute time of Newton.

I can't seem to understand this event from the "truthful observer's" perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its tough to abandon absolute space/time but that's part of 'applying' relativity. The truthful observers can both describe how it appears to them (by appears we mean objective evidence, clocks and rulers etc) and not only realise that these seemingly different truths are coherent but also know how it will appear to the other without asking them.

So its better than the pants, not only can we both truthfully claim that our pants are different colours but, if the analogy were stronger, I could tell you what colour your pants are.

chez