View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: April\'s mini-blind hold \'em

This might help clear things up a little.

The 55 vs. KJ example was actually meant as a comparison between different starting hands within the mini blind game. This section,

[ QUOTE ]
In the long run, the fives will

1. Cost less to play (you release almost every time you don't flop a set).
2. Hold up through the river more often when you do flop a set. And
3. Win a larger pot in those instances where you improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

was intended to show that small/medium pairs can offer a player less volatility and greater returns (than something like KJ) within this structure. Taken in that context, a set should hold up more often and win a bigger pot than top pair.

That being said you guys bring up some good points.

1. I'm assuming a MBG where people play as they do, not as they should. Lots of limpers preflop, basic disregard for odds post flop, and people paying little or no attention to others isn't too far from the norm. This is what makes the game worthwhile. In my opinion, if you happen upon a generally tight MBG, just leave. There are plenty of other games to choose from, so why sit in a game with such a small pot/rake ratio.

2. All things being equal, pots in the MBG are smaller when compared to a normal game. Thats just a function of the blind structure.

3. Because the pots are smaller, you'll find fewer opportunities to draw past the flop. Your immediate and effective odds will be comparatively less than in a NG. Your implied odds after the flop are the same in either game.

4. The majority of players that I have come across do not adjust their style.