View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Did I win this bet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
personally, i think your posts showed as much disrespect to the original poster as mine did towards you, and that is the reason i adopted that tone in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really! How interesting that a person could have your opinion! Let's recap. First of all, I was not disrespectful to the original poster AT ALL. All I said was that his answer was CORRECT due to 2 errors which canceled. It was his derivation I was criticizing, not him personally, and there is a huge difference. You on the other hand, felt it was appropriate to respond to me with mocking sarcasm in THREE POSTS:

post 1:
sorry to hijack, but i've got this great way to figure out what 2*2 is. you multiply 2 by 3, substract 2, and you get 4!

post 2 (responding to self):
sorry Mortal, you got the right answer, but you made 11 errors that cancelled themselves out.
the correct way to do it is 2*2 = (3 - 1)(3 - 1) = 9 - 3 - 3 + 1 = 4.

post 3:
that's classic. also, the Odyssey was not written by Homer, but by another author of the same name.
hey! you editted your post after i quoted it. equally silly [emphasis added], but less quotable.

Now calling someone's honest contribution silly and using sarcasm like this is clearly disrespectful, and if you can't see the difference, then I can't help you.

You were more disrespectful than I was in your post to dtbog when you dismissed what he wrote as "just plain wrong". He had carefully and correctly pointed out the same shortcomings in the original poster's terms that I did. You read the original post too fast if you thought the only problem was roundoff error.

[ QUOTE ]
in fact, acknowledging that two wrongs don't make a right, i apologize, BruceZ. i should have made my points more clearly and more politely.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in the event that the original poster actually did the algebra in his head, or is a genius and just intuited the correct answer clearly without any misconceptions, then I apologize TO HIM (but I really don't believe this is the case, and I don't believe that either he or you believes this is the case).

[ QUOTE ]
if your contention is instead that the fact that you "know what you are doing" should be a shield against ridicule on any level, then i'm sorry, but i "know what i am doing" too, and so you should respect my ridicule shield if you want me to respect yours. but i don't think that is what you meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

My contention is that nothing I post on this forum is likely to be correctly classified as "silly", especially in the few minutes that you spent considering it, and that is true no matter who you are or how much you know what you are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are unconditionally right. I am unconditionally wrong. Please accept my second apology.