View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: AZ Spring Training

SPRING TRAINING ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!

My wife and I went a few years ago and it was one of the best vacations we've ever done. We're Giant's fans, so twe followed them to several stadiums. We stayed in Scottsdale about 3 blocks from the Giant's park - right across the street from Don & Charlie's (a great steakhouse where the players hang out on occasion).

It's super fan friendly - small parks, the players are much more relaxed (at least the veterans) and it's baseball experience at it's finest. I'd recommend you arrange for some tickets before you get there as they do tend to sell out. We were able to get some tickets at the last moment (pretty decent ones too) for an impromptu visit to HoHoKam park (Cubbies).

MOst of the AZ teams have parks within 40 mins of each other in the Pheonix area, so it's pretty easy to visit most of the venues. There's another handful 2 hrs away in the Tempe area.

We were in AZ for 10 days. We spent 2 nights up at the Grand Canyon (if you haven't been there, it's worth the trip) so we could have a full day at the big ditch. It could be done as a day trip from Pheonix, but it would be a long day (about 4 hrs round trip).

I don't know about the poker - we were really just to busy to even think about anything else.

If you're a baseball fan, Spring Training is a must!