View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: aces all the way

I don't think this is an easy bet for these reasons. Villain could easily bet 1 pair, trips or better and check 2pair!!
Call only with 2 pair
And only raise with trips or better.
(notice this is similar to the heads up on the river in TOP)

This may sound like a good creative player, but there do seem to be some donks who stumble into this strategy. I think the thought process on the river goes like this
-checked to with pair of queens- guess he really was bluffing at me and if he wasn't he'll still probably fold.
-checked to with 2 pair- I don't want to feel like a fool when he check raises me with aces up.
-bet at with 2 pair- he probably hit his aces up, i'll call
-bet at with trips or better- I've got him, raise.

If this is your player than checking your aces everytime is the profitable play since you lose a bet when you bet unimproved aces into his unimproved queens Vs. the always bet river and fold to a raise method. Further, what happens if 1 in 10 times (or more) he raises with his unimproved queens, not so much as a though out strategy, but just 1 in 10 times gets the 'gut feeling' he can bet you off or just feels like he's the man from time to time? The bet and fold to a raise strategy starts to lose some more money.

So I guess my point is, even against weak players in a party or pacific 2/4 game, you still need a good read on players to know how best to play marginal hands on the river, or more likely, how to get 4 people to call a capped river when you've made your aces full.