View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Another Question For Protestants

[ QUOTE ]
Let me be more specific. You and I both agree (I think) that the teaching of the apostles was 100% accurate. Their teaching is recorded for us in a book. We have that book. What do we lack? I know what you are thinking. "Why then are there so many different interpretations for the same scripture in protestant denominations?" Protestants could overcome that objection by picking a single group to interpret scripture, but that would not make their interpretation necessarily correct. Enter Rome. Just because there is a singular (more or less) source of interpretation in the Catholic Church, does not make that interpretation necessarily correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

We do agree that the apostles taught 100% correctly. But the very fact of differing interpretations shows that it is not sufficient for us that they did so, but that we too can be able to have a 100% correct interpretation of their teaching. That can only be the case with an authoritative interpreter. It is not enough to merely state that scripture in sufficient when it can be misinterpreted. When these differing interpretations are regarding what is necessary for salvation especially, they can be extremely detrimental. And these differing interpretations make much more difficult fulfilling the great commission. So I will restate the question: does God care enough that we have such a 100% correct and authoritative interpretation to insure that we do? Again, this is a matter of both logic and theology.