View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: 5-10 NL straight flush draw

[ QUOTE ]

1) induce a reraise all in for value, or

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you want him to push? You want him to fold.
[ QUOTE ]

2) to build a pot should I hit, or

[/ QUOTE ]
Bigger raise = bigger pot.
[ QUOTE ]

3) to give myself a chance to check behind should I miss the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't see how smaller raise makes it more likely he'll check to you on the turn.
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to lose him right away,

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not? Seems to me your greatest EV comes from him folding the flop.
[ QUOTE ]
and I didn't want to build such a pot that if he does just call and fire the turn, I won't be forced to call off my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Either you wrote something backwards here or I'm confused. I think your intention is that you didn't want to build such a big pot that you WOULD have to call off your whole stack if he calls the flop and pushes a blank turn. But you can just play the turn according to the pot odds that you have. If he doesn't give you correct pot odds to draw, congratulate him on his good play and fold. But it seems unlikely that that is how he is planning on playing it. And I don't see how the size of the flop raise affects that aspect of the turn at all. It's not like you are FORCED to call of your stack on the turn. If you DO call all in on the turn it will be because you are getting pot odds to do so and therefore it is +EV and you want to do it. I don't see how raising more on the flop would make the turn -EV in such a way as to balance out what I see to be the EV benefits on the flop.