View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Physics graduate from Daryn\'s alma mater\'s answer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to agree with goofball. According to the phrasing of the OP, the plane is not moving. It's not that the plane is stationary because the plane is like a car and thrust by its wheels, nor because it's physically impossible for the plane to move relative to the ground/air when on a conveyor belt, but rather, the plane is stationary because that's how the problem has been defined. If the plane moves forward any amount relative to the ground such that lifting off would become possible, the criteria laid out in the OP (wheels movement = conveyor movement) is no longer met.

This is not about aerospace engineering, rather so much as it is about reading comprehension (or more precisely, poor phrasing in the original post).

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly correct, and as a side note, I'm sitting right next to NLSoldier, and when he saw this, he said "Don't worry, Pat will come back on and pwn him in a sec!"

Somone tell that donk he owes me 400$....I mean seriously, he just said "I wasn't going to make you pay anyway."

[/ QUOTE ]

NLsoldier owes you $400 because the situation is theoretically impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the situation is theoretically impossible I think that would mean the bet is off. And I can maybe agree that based on the exact semantics of the original post, its theoretically impossible. But I think we all know what we are talking about.