View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Doyles big laydown

[ QUOTE ]
the first was in a $2/5 B&M n/l game. the player called a preflop raise with QQ in the hole. before the flop even came, he held out his cards as if to muck and says to the dealer something to the effect of, "if the flop doesn't hit me, i'm done with the hand." the flop came A-Q-rag rainbow. the player with a set of Q's then says to the dealer, "that's not what i was looking for, dealer." the PFR bets, and the player with middle set insta mucks face up to the astonishment of everyone at the table. the PFR tables his set of Aces after having the pot pushed his way.

the 2nd instance was very similar, but in a $1/2 pot limit game. there was a raise in early position. my wife re-raises from the BB with KK in the pocket. HU to the flop, which was K-Q-7...2 clubs. my wife leads out for about 1/2 the pot. the original raisor then makes a sizeable raise. my wife comes back over the top. the other player then mucks a set of Q's face up. neither my wife, nor the other player had more than $200.00 to start the hand. also, neither my wife, nor the other player are considered to be among the better players at the table.

tripdad

[/ QUOTE ]

These aren't even close to the example given at the beginning - given that they're NL and all

The first hand is easy if there's a read that the initial raiser will only raise with AA from the position he was in (which I'm sure there was)

A reraise in NL from the BB is significant - I'm sure the initial raiser put your wife on AA/KK only (the re-raise from the BB with KK is a questionable play at best) - then when she overpushed coming back to her it's a pretty easy laydown with QQ. If she wouldn't have reraised PF she'd have had the other guy's stack.

Plus you have to take into consideration when people make these laydowns and they're wrong (which happens quite frequently - I'd say more often than the pot odds are offering - especially in 2/5 with less than 200 behind)