View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Being Certain In The Face Of Contrary Expert Opinions

Look, I am not saying Islam is THE cause of terrorism. I am saying I think it is ONE CAUSE AMONGST MANY.

But you just flat rule that out, despite the contrary public statements of imams, terrorists, and now a very educated liberal Canadian Muslim woman.

I wouldn't mind discussing but you are being TOTALLY CLOSE-MINDED to the point of not even ALLOWING THAT AS A POSSIBILITY.

You have taken other totally close-minded tacks on occasion in the past.

I'm trying to point out that, regardless of the issue, that is an approach that is intellectually flawed--and not conducive to good discussion or debate.

This particular instance is just one case in point.

How do you manage to assert as FACT your opinion on this, which flies in the face of many expert opinions?

I'm NOT saying you should agree with me that Islam is a significant cause of terrorism. I'm not even saying you should take as fact that those particular Muslim experts are right and you are wrong. I'm just saying you should allow it as a POSSIBILITY.

Why can't you do that?

Also, can you imagine how frustrating it can be to discuss or debate with one so close-minded on certain things?

There is very little I won't allow as a POSSIBILITY for views that oppose mine--especially when numerous experts contradict my opinion. But you seem entirely impervious to such considerations, which makes your discussion/debate style highly flawed and unfair.

It is as if you have an IQ of 140, yet at times simply refuse to acknowledge possibilities other than your first conclusions. On the occasions you do that, it is like you are dropping your own effective IQ to 70, regarding the matter at hand. By your own choice, no less.

Sometimes cement heads are thick because they can't help it, naturally. That is not you. Other times they simply choose to be thick on occasion. That is you. And it is a habit that harms both you and any discussion you are trying to have with someone.

May you realize this in introspection and occasionally strive to improve upon it. And may you be less quick to TOTALLY DISREGARD contrary expert opinion from multiple sources in the future--on any subject. (Mainly for your benefit.)