View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Beginning MTH v2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3. My last concern is the "multiple-car-pileup" effect already alluded to above. Literally EVERY SINGLE TIME I PLAY I experience this at least once. I laboriously load my 14 tables and get everything running smoothly for awhile, and then it starts:
(connection is very good) turns to connection is good, poor, lost, internet delays 12 seconds, 14 seconds, etc., trying to reconnect, action keys become frozen on the few tables that are still functioning, etc. This is really a nightmare, but in no way do I consider it the fault of your program; nor do I visualize any way you could alter your program to deal with this. It is either the fault on the sites or my ISP (I have a chespo dial-up connection). I'd like to know if other prople are experiencing this and if there is any cure and if it would be just as bad or worse if we were running prima sites rather than party sites.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As you also conclude, i can't see any way MTH shuold be the cause of this, MTH doesn't contain any network code at all that should be able to cause havoc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had many of these multi car pile ups and am just figuring out what is causing them.

Here is my hypothesis:
As soon as a table sits you out for what ever reason, a query box pops to find out if you want to sit out or let you know that you are sitting out. If this goes unanswered it steals the focus from moving to the appropriate table and ends up buried, if you don't find it fast suddenly other tables are blinking and sitting you out, thus the infamous mutli-car pileup(same thing would happen with timing you out) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can experiment with it yourself by letting a table go out and not responding to it, it will soon be covered and then preventing others from coming up.

The answer would be to take the timing or timed out tables out of the process immediately so the rest can keep going and maybe put them in a seperate corner until they are safely fixed, closed, restarted, dealt with(function normally again) etc...

This may be cause your program checks each table in a circular hunt fashion for table with focus but once the hunt starts over again...

I am sure that what I'm saying is not 100% accurate as i'm not a programmer but is as close as I can figure with my pea brain [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the freezing up etc... it's probably due to the complications above in the sense that you begin trying to catch up thus pushing more buttons, switching faster, pounding the keyboard, puninshing the mouse etc.... causing your computer to go into hyperoverloadedcan'tcatchupwatchmedienow mode [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Love the program, keep up the good work, this will be a best seller soon upon release is my guess

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co