View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Negotiating a job offer

So, after quite some time as a grad student/p**** player, I'm finally getting a real job. I'm working in computer graphics/image processing as a software engineer, and I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I'm getting a fair deal in my first job. I just got my first offer.

The salary's slightly below what I could get elsewhere, but at this job I'd only be working 40-45 hours a week instead of the 60-70 that are common elsewhere. I will, however, be commuting about 50 miles each way, or just under 2 hours round-trip. Any other job I took would have a significantly shorter commute. I'm not willing to move closer to where I'd be working, because anywhere between LA and this company sucks.

One thing that surprised me in the initial offer is that they're not offering me medical/dental insurance until March 01, 2006. Is it normal for full-time employees not to get benefits for 90(ish) days? Or are they trying to screw me? Also, is it normal for full-time employees to receive compensation for commuting costs, or does that only happen for consulting work?

This company definitely wants me. I think I have some leverage in negotiating, and haven't used any of it yet. I'm just not sure what I should be trying to get from them.