Thread: Google Talk
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Google Talk

[ QUOTE ]
I think the implications of this are huge. If this catches on, it could easily replace all other instant messengers (and long distance phone calls). It won't be easy, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Google.

Right now it seems to be lacking features, but I'm sure they will add stuff like file sharing and video support (and hopeuflly NOT things like winks, sounds, ads, animations and all that extra crap that the other big IM clients have).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is just the beta version right now. It's simple and nice, but you are right, it is lacking many features. Google tends to update its products VERY often, so I'm sure we will see plenty of additions in the near future.

I also agree about the call feature. I'm still sort of curious as to how it will work though. I only have one other person on my list currently. I don't know how or if multiple calls will work. But for simply chatting with a friend, I would by FAR prefer the call feature than typing. Easier on the wrists, much faster, more to the point, and stupid things like adding lol after every 5th word won't happen any more.

Google also says it will be providing cross IM communication at some point.