View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Am I ready for mid-limit?

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing for about 6 months now and have taken poker like a major in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on reading your QT post, I bet you didn't do very well in college.

[ QUOTE ]
That is, I've read all the suggested reading out there and have used this as my "edge" when I sit down at a table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one.

[ QUOTE ]
I started out in $3-$6 but found that it is too hard to showdown the winner against multiple LAPs at a LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very hard to beat these games if you are bad at poker.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried $9-$18 and found that to be a much better game for my style. I can say that I can walk away from the $9-18 sessions a winner 70% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Badass.

[ QUOTE ]
This past weekend I tried out $15-$30 and did well. I picked up on a couple of tricky players and some of their tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Badass.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I ask this question as to whether or not I am ready is the fact that one of my good friends, who is a high-limit ($80-$160) player told me that until I can consistently beat the low-limit game, I have no business in the mid- to high-limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky to have a friend who knows what he's talking about. Forget about random folks giving you advice here. Listen to your friend.

[ QUOTE ]
Example: Pocket Js in low-limit have been worthless to me, but in mid-limit, they held up 12 out of the 15 times I had them. Ditto with AA.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you do have a good point there. Please tell me your userid at any of the poker sites. We can play some high-limit heads-up matches. In those games, your AA will hold up more than anywhere else, since AA wins the highest percentage of times when played heads-up (it wins the lowest percentage of times when facing 9 opponents). Also, you are able to pick up on how tricky players play, so between all these skills I think you will dominate heads-up high-limit play. But El Diablo enjoys a challenge, so we should definitely play. Olé!!!